Looking to improve English skills and gain more subject knowledge then the best resources that you can use here is MP Board Solutions for Class 6th English Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I Questions and Answers. Make sure you use them as reference material at the time of preparation & score good grades in the final exams. Students who feel tough to learn English Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I concepts can take help from this MP Board Class 6th English PDF and answer all the questions easily in the exams. Go to the below sections and get Class 6th English MP Board Solutions Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I PDF.
MP Board Class 6th Special English Solutions Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I
Do you feel scoring more marks in the English Grammar sections and passage sections are so difficult? Then, you have the simplest way to understand the question from each concept & answer it in the examination. This can be only possible by reading the passages and topics involved in the MP Board solutions for Class 6th English Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I Questions and Answers. All the Solutions are covered as per the latest syllabus guidelines. So get them and prepare properly for the final exams.
Columbus Discovers America-I Text Book Exercise
Class 6 English Chapter 12 MP Board Word Power
(a) Fill in the blanks with the words given below:
- The workers have gone on strike. They are …………… higher wages.
- My brother has failed six times in the Intermediate examination. He won’t take the examination again. He has lost all …………. of passing it.
- Chennai can be attacked by ships because it is on the sea ……………
- A crowd had collected at the scene of the accident. A policeman came up and asked one of the men in the crowd, “Can you …………… how the accident happened?”
- “I want to sew these buttons on this coat. Can you get me a …………… and some thread?”
- Marco Polo first went to China by land ………….. across Central Asia, but he returned home by sea.
- Drinking too much brought about the …………… of Mr. Bharti’s health.
- Iron is hard, but silk is ……………….
- You must ……………. a thing carefully before you describe it.
(b) Fill in the blanks with suitable words given below.
- The bite of snake is often ……………… It kills a man within a few minutes.
- The boy was …………… when a big dog rushed at him barking.
- My son left for Delhi ten days ago. I am worried because I have not heard from him …………… .
- “What you read in this book is a true story. It is not an …………….. one.”
- Our school football team this year is strong. It is sure to win the inter school cup this year. Its defeat is …………..
- Our school football team was playing against the Town Club. By half time the Town Club had scored two goals and our players were beginning to lose heart. “Don’t give up,” we all shouted “Fight on!” Our players ………….. again, played well, and won the match.
- Mr. Sampath was unwilling to become the Chief Minister. But all the M.L.A.s met him in a body and tried to …………… him to take up the office. At first they did not …………. , but they did not give up. They met him again and again. They …………. to give him every cooperation and to act according to his wishes ………….. , Mr. Sampath agreed to become the Chief Minister.
- The people …………… against the king only when his rule became unbearable.
- No one was able to recognise the policeman who was disguised as a sanyasi. He wore a ………….. beard and yellow clothes.
- so far
- took heart
- persuade, succeed, undertook, at last
(c) Match the words under A with the meaning under B.
1. → (c)
2. → (f)
3. → (e)
4. → (a)
5. → (g)
6. → (h)
7. → (d)
8. → (b)
Class 6 English Chapter 12 Question Answer MP Board Comprehension
(a) Say true (T) or false (F) in the given box.
- The Sargasso Sea was covered with seaweed.
- People were eager to travel with Columbus
- The Spanish King and Queen gave two ships to Columbus.
- Columbus’s first destination was the Canary Islands.
- The ship, Pinta lost its sail.
- Columbus set sail on Friday, the 3rd of August 1492.
(b) Answer the following questions:
Class 6 English Book Lesson 12 MP Board Question 1.
What was the plan of Vaso-de-Gama?
The plan of Vasco-de-Gama was to find a sea-route to India with the help of the Portuguese sailors.
Class 6th English Chapter 12 MP Board Question 2.
Why did Columbus think that one could find a sea route to India by sailing west from Europe?
The scientists had told that the earth was spherical in shape. Hence, Columbus thought that he could reach India by sailing west from Europe.
Class 6 Chapter 12 English MP Board Question 3.
What stopped Columbus from sailing at once after getting the ships?
Columbus got the ships from the king and queen of Spain. He could not start his voyage immediately, because the sailors were not ready for-it. They were afraid of various dangers of the unknown sea, especially the deadly snakes.
Chapter 12 English Class 6 MP Board Question 4.
What kind of people made up Columbus’s crew?
Columbus had to train the beggars and prisoners as the members of his crew.
English Chapter 12 Class 6 MP Board Question 5.
What dangers did people imagine in the seas beyond the Canary Island?
The people had mis-beliefs like the presence of doorway to hell in and beyond the Canary Islands, sea snakes of the dangerous sea and many other things. So they did not accept the offer of Columbus.
Class 6 English Chapter 12 Questions And Answers MP Board Question 6.
Why did Columbus stop for some time at the Canary Islands?
One of the ships of Columbus had lost her rudder on the way to the Canary Islands. It was due to the mischief of the unwilling crew. Columbus could not sail forward. Therefore, he had to stop there for some time to get the ship repaired.
Class 6 English Lesson 12 MP Board Question 7.
“This hope turned out to be false.”
(a) What was the hope?
(b) How did the sailors come to have the hope?
(a) Their hope was that the land was quite near to them.
(b) The sailors hoped so, because they had seen two birds flying in the air over the sea. The sight of birds made the presence of the land nearby sure.
English Class 6 Chapter 12 MP Board Question 8.
At what point during the voyage did the sailors demand that the ships should turn back home?
When the compass started pointing to the North-West, instead of the North, the sailors were confused. Being terribly afraid they demanded that they should drop the idea of going and return to their homeland.
Grammar in Use
1. Read these sentences.
Columbus promised his sailors rich rewards, Yet not many came forward to sail with him.
The meaning can also be expressed thus:
Though Columbus promised his sailors rich rewards, not many came forward to sail with him.
The clause beginning with though is an Adverbial clause of Concession. You can use although in place of though.
Rewrite the sentences given below using though/although and underline the Adverbial Clause.
- He is only thirteen years old yet he has passed the matriculation examination
- My watch is a cheap one; yet it has been keeping good time for the last ten years.
- My servant is lazy; yet I keep him because of his honesty.
- She was very tired; yet she kept working.
- I have read this poem several times; yet I can’t under stand it.
- Some people are very rich; yet they are not happy.
- There was no sign of land; yet they sailed on and on.
- Though he is only thirteen years old, he has passed the matriculation examination.
- Though my watch is a cheap one, it has been keeping good time for the last ten years.
- Although my servant is lazy, I keep him because of his honesty.
- Although she was tired, she kept working.
- Though I have read this poem several times, I can’t understand it.
- Though some people are very rich, they are not happy.
- Though there was no sign of land, they sailed on and on.
1. You want to go on a trip of Pachmarhi. Talk to your partner and prepare the list of items you need for the trip.
Talk like this
Monu : Sonu, I’ll take a blanket and a torch. What are you taking?
Sonu : I’ll take a raincoat, few fruits and a knife.
1. From the table below make six sentences referring to events in the stories you have read. Here is one of the sentences given as an example: Columbus expected to reach India by sailing west.
- He decided to ask the Jew.
- Akbar agreed to send Birbal to heaven.
- The courtiers wished to bring about Birbal’s death.
- Kassim promised to give Ali ten marbles.
- Columbus expected to reach India by sailing west.
- Columbus tried to discover a new sea route to india.
Columbus Discovers America-I Word Meanings
If you need some more information about MP Board Solutions for Class 6th English Chapter 12 Columbus Discovers America-I Questions and Answers then visit our site frequently and get all the resources that you look for. Also, share this page with your friends and make them learn all the concepts thoroughly before the exams.